Designing lace. Sort of.

So, the pattern I’m working on with Brooklyn Handspun has a bit of lace in it. While it is perfectly legal to use lace motifs from a stitch dictionary, I couldn’t find the exact lace design that I had in mind.

I’ve created original cables before – or at least cables that I didn’t consult a stitch dictionary to make. How much harder could lace be?

Apparently, a lot if you suck at math like me.

Here’s what I was working on:

Yarn: Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran

The top group is from Stitchionary. Then I tossed the book aside and created the next two sections. The bottom section is close to my final product (which I don’t want to post so I don’t ruin the surprise when the pattern comes out). I though I had it all figured out, and went about knitting my sample.

Then the whole math thing hit. The first three rows of the 8-row repeat went swimmingly. Then at the fourth row, I realized that my number of stitches didn’t work out like I thought.

Grr. Back to the drawing (swatching?) board it was.

Making a chart really helped me figure out what went wrong, but I want to make one more – larger – swatch before I go back to the sample sweater.

Wish me luck!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in brooklyn handspun, friday night knitting club, lace, shizknit patterns. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Designing lace. Sort of.

  1. thanks for bringin’ Leo in to the Nook today – fun times. sure hope you land that sweet job! oh yeah, my blog is now ballsofyarn.blogspot.com (so’s you know to alter your link to me – thanks!).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s